Thursday 8 September 2011

Jamie Welsted

Just to show what a bit of hard work can achieve - James Welsted (an former Get Sorted-er) is now a drum tutor in Leeds. Here is his  (condensed) MJP tuition profile!

Qualifications:

BA (Hons) 1st Class, Popular Music Performance (Drum Kit), BTEC National Diploma Popular Music, Grade 8 Rockschool, Grade 3 Theory (ABRSM)

Experience:

I have been teaching drums for about 5 years, in this time I have worked in a number of institutions, including - Get Sorted Academy of Music, Yorkshire Drum School, Music Academy for Schools and Communities. I Have also worked for other teaching agencies including Sound Generation. During this time I have gained extensive experience in teaching children and adults on a one to one basis, in small groups, and in large groups. While working at these institutions my teaching practice was monitored for quality and efficiency.

In terms of performance, I have worked with many different bands and ensembles in Europe and the USA, highlights for me are playing with blues legend Frank White, playing Scarborough Jazz Festival with well known Jazz singer Nicki Allen and touring California with 1980’s Indie band St Christopher. I am a working musician, performing at least once a week around the UK with various function bands.

Teaching Style:

I would describe my teaching style as laid back and informal, however, I do expect my students to take on board what I say and to see development over a period of time.

Syllabi:

Depending on the student my lessons are based on a number of different syllabi, these include Rockschool examinations for those wishing to “do grades”, Practical Percussion (Kevin Edwards) for beginners and my own, personally developed syllabus for intermediate to advanced students.

Specialties:

As well as being very well experienced in teaching beginners, I take pride in my technical knowledge of the instrument, having studied with some of the leading technicians in the country I can offer knowledge to players that feel their technique is limiting their musical expression. In terms of musical styles my specialities are pop, rock, funk, fusion and jazz.

Sample Tuition Video:


Testimonial:

“Over the years l have known Jamie, l have always found him to be friendly, trustworthy and a pleasure to work with. He has excellent people’s skills and is a good team member. He is an excellent drummer and knows how to get the best out of the children and young people he is tutoring. His relaxed and friendly personality make it easier for people to learn and his way of teaching shows differentiation so he is able to work with those with special needs to those classed as gifted and talented.”

- Genya Johnson (Executive Director-Get Sorted Academy of Music)

No comments:

Post a Comment